Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Introduction

Hi everyone!

This is my first entry and I guess I'll start it off by saying that I'm really excited about this class. I've blogged some in the past and feel that this is an excellent and unitimidating way to get your thoughts across. You can say what you want, when you want, and how you want. And if someone doesn't like it? Tough luck. They can write their own blog :-). Now let's talk business...

When I signed up for this class, I really had no idea what it was going to be like. The name "Knowledge Management" says a lot, but not much at the same time. I figured at the very least I would gain some knowledge, and perhaps learn how to manage it. But after the first class I saw that it was so much more than that. Something important I've learned already is that we live in a knowledge economy...yes, a knowledge economy. I didn't know what this meant either so here' what Wikipedia had to say:

"The knowledge economy is a term that refers either to an economy of knowledge focused on the production and management of knowledge in the frame of economic constraints, or to a knowledge-based economy. In the second meaning, more frequently used, it refers to the use of knowledge technologies (such as knowledge engineering and knowledge management) to produce economic benefits as well as job creation."

Still doesn't make sense. So here's how I'm understanding it. A knowledge economy is one that is driven by human capital(That means us). The product of this human capital is knowledge. This ideology is different from what many people understand because unlike the industrial age, you are not working to provide a physical product(cars, clothes, etc.) We are living in an information age and for businesses this means you need people who can not only do, but also think. It gets more detailed but I'm not going to go into all that now, we've got time.

With that being said...I'm out of here for now. Have a good 1!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yay Diana!!!! SN: This is me being supportive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! I always hear the term "knowledge economy" but never really hear people break it down. Can't wait to read more--so I can figure out how to manage my knowledge! :)

    ReplyDelete